Prepare Your Home for Winter Whether
Tips For Preparing Your Home for Winter Weather
- Keep Cabinets doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it to "off."
- If you follow the previous steps, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.